I am serving these delightful breadsticks at the start of the “Sicilian Night Supper Club“, together with a Limoncello Cocktail. They are very easy to make and extremely tasty! The recipes uses my Basic Bread recipe, omitting the sugar.
1 Batch Basic Bread Dough
100g Black Olives, stoned and chopped
80g Grated Parmesan
1-2 teasp Oregano
Semolina and extra flour for dusting
Preheat oven to 220 deg C
– Follow the recipe for the Basic Bread dough (to stage 6).
– Once the dough has risen to twice it’s size, remove from the bowl and place on to a surface that has been dusted with flour and semolina. Shape the dough into a rough, flat rectangle, using your fingertips to flatten and spread out the dough.
– Sprinkle on the olives, Parmesan and oregano. Then fold one third of the dough to the centre and press down with your fingertips, then fold the opposite side over the top (as if you were folding an A4 letter into an envelope). Press down with the palms of your hands to work the mixture into the dough. Turn the dough around so that the long side is towards you and start to cut approximately 1 cm slices. For each slice, start to twist and pull to get a length of around 36cm (14 inches) and place each stick on a baking tray that has been lined with greaseproof paper.
– When you have completed all the sticks (makes approximately 16 (I used two trays of 8) place a tea towel over them and leave to prove for another 30 – 40 minutes (depends on the temperature of your kitchen).
– Then place in the oven and bake for 12 – 15 minutes.
If you want to make these ahead – part bake for approximately 10 – 12 minutes until they are just starting to take on a bit of colour then take out of the oven and cool. Place in a freezer until needed.
TO SERVE: Defrost and place in hot oven for approximately 5 minutes. Leave to cool before serving.